Call or EMAIL Us Today:

Co-parenting with a difficult ex is certainly not easy. You may have fights about what type of entertainment they may be exposed to, as well as what rules should be enforceable in each other’s homes. But what parents should not fight about (but unfortunately they do) is how their children should be treated by doctors.

There are situations where a parent may want the kids to see a doctor who offices close to where the parent lives, or does not want the kids seen by a particular physician. Even more complicated, a parent may not be very responsible in making sure a child takes their medicine, or may even refuse to provide it because he or she disagrees with the doctor’s recommendations.

In these situations, what is a parent supposed to do?

Reviewing your custody decree can be a good place to start. A parent who has legal custody of a child has a right to participate in the decision-making process about their child’s medical care. This means that they can make decisions about what type of medical treatment the child receives, including prescription medicines, surgeries and even dental care.

A parent who has joint legal custody shares this responsibility with the other parent. A parent who has sole legal custody has the exclusive right to make these decisions.

So if your ex is interfering in medical decision-making, perhaps a motion to change custody may be in order. After all, a parent’s failure to provide needed medicines could lead to a change in custody. 

CMN square smaller.jpg

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find out how we can help you.

Call 951.824.6449, chat with us, or request a consultation below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Office Locations

Riverside Office
4094 Chestnut Street
Riverside, CA 92501

Phone: 951-824-6449
Fax: 951-715-4601
Map & Directions
Email Us

Temecula Office
28465 Old Town Front Street
Suite 321
Temecula, CA 92590

Phone: 951-824-6449
Fax: 951-715-4601
Map & Directions
Email Us