Call or EMAIL Us Today:

Parents have an obligation to support their children to the best of their ability. Once a child support order is established, paying support becomes a legal requirement that the courts can enforce through civil and criminal penalties.

So, what happens if you have no income? Do you still have to pay support?

Generally, yes. Whether you anticipate a short layoff or a longer period of unemployment, here's what you need to understand.

Your lack of income doesn't negate your obligation to pay support

No matter what the circumstances, an existing court order for support has to be followed. If you are unable to pay, the debt will start to accrue, and you will go into arrears.

Even if you otherwise notify the court that you are not working, there still has to be a formal hearing and a change in the order for the collection efforts to halt.

Even a change in the order may not eliminate your obligation

For the most part, the court is usually willing to adjust a child support obligation downward when a parent's income has been involuntarily reduced. However, the court will make inquiries to find out how you are surviving -- and there is very little in the way of income that the court can't attach.

If you are receiving any sort of benefits, including disability insurance payments, Social Security or unemployment, you are still likely to have to pay some amount of support, no matter how nominal.

If you truly have no income at all and are subsisting on charity, the court may choose to suspend your payments for a time -- although you will likely be given an order to seek appropriate employment based on your abilities and skills.

Post-decree child support modifications are never automatic, no matter what the circumstances. If your income has been interrupted and you owe support, an attorney can help you petition the court for the appropriate modifications. Don't neglect this step, because the penalties for falling behind on your support can be difficult to overcome.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find out how we can help you.

Call 951.824.6449, chat with us, or request a consultation below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Office Locations

Riverside Office
4094 Chestnut Street
Riverside, CA 92501

Phone: 951-824-6449
Fax: 951-715-4601
Map & Directions
Email Us

Temecula Office
28465 Old Town Front Street
Suite 321
Temecula, CA 92590

Phone: 951-824-6449
Fax: 951-715-4601
Map & Directions
Email Us