Fast. Fair. Thorough.

Tips for recovering unpaid child support

On Behalf of | Dec 16, 2011 | Child Support |

Many Riverside residents know firsthand how important child support payments are to the well-being of their children. Unfortunately, many noncustodial parents do not make complete payments or do not make payments at all. In fact, only a third of custodial parents receive any of the child support they are due, and a quarter never receives any payments.

Facing this difficult situation can be frustrating and overwhelming. A recent article provided some helpful suggestions for getting the support you are owed.

First, talk to your local child support enforcement office. A federal law states that every state in the country must have one. These agencies can intervene when your children’s parent falls behind on payments, and there are a number of actions they can take to help you get your court-ordered child support.

There are a few options that will start to affect the person who owes support negatively. First, the state can suspend licenses he or she has, including a driver’s license, recreational license, professional license and even a passport. Next, the state can begin garnishing wages, which takes money directly out of the noncustodial parent’s paycheck. His or her property can be seized, tax refunds can be intercepted and credit bureaus can be notified.

If these tactics are not effective, it is possible that a noncustodial parent can face criminal charges for refusing to make child support payments. He or she could face fines and jail time.

Hopefully these options offer hope to those California residents who are struggling to provide the best lives for their children without the child support they are legally owed. Those who want further advice or assistance may find it helpful to speak with an experienced family law attorney.

Source: Forbes, “How Can a Divorcing Woman Get the Child Support, Alimony She is Owed?” Jeff Landers, Dec. 14, 2011


RSS Feed