Fast. Fair. Thorough.

Dennis Rodman allegedly owes over $800,000 back child support

On Behalf of | Apr 5, 2012 | Child Support |

Child support payments are sometimes a source of contention in a California divorces. The non-custodial parent of a child is typically required to make payments for several years in many child support cases. These child support payments can continue until a child completes college or reaches the age of majority, depending on the circumstances of a particular proceeding.

Celebrities are understandably not immune to the requirement for child support payments. Like others who are required by a court to pay, when a celebrity fails to pay the child support payments, legal penalties may be in order. Like others who have been through a divorce, an ex-spouse of a celebrity can request that the court impose penalties on a non-paying parent, such as the payment of legal fees.

Former professional basketball star and Hall of Fame inductee Dennis Rodman may find himself facing up to 20 days in jail for an alleged failure to pay child support payments. The star’s third ex-wife claims that he has failed to meet his obligations for their two young children. The filings with the court state that Rodman owes $808,935 in unpaid child support.

At this point, it appears as though Rodman has not issued a public statement in relation to the allegations. However, like all those who owe back child support in California, he will have a chance to present evidence before the court in response to these allegations. However, if the court finds that he owed the money for the care of his children and that he willfully failed to pay, the court may impose penalties, including time behind bars. On the other hand, if his financial circumstances have changed dramatically, he may be able to petition the court for a modification of his future support payments.

The court, in most divorce cases involving minor children, requires payments for child support by a non-custodial parent. These payments cannot be altered or halted without the approval of the court. When a parent with custody of children finds that their ex-spouse is not paying the required child support payments, they may request that a court become involved as they seek to get the necessary payments to provide for their children.

Source: Los Angeles Times, “Rodman faces jail time in child support case, ex-wife’s lawyer says,” Lauren Williams, March 26, 2012


RSS Feed