Fast. Fair. Thorough.

Reimbursement for out-of-pocket child support expenses

On Behalf of | Aug 19, 2022 | Child Support |

If you and your ex have children, the court likely entered an order detailing the terms of your child support arrangement. In most cases, both parents are ordered to contribute to expenses relating to the children including healthcare costs not covered by insurance (e.g., medical, vision, or dental).

Seeking reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses

Childcare expenses can arise unexpectedly and therefore, it can be hard to determine ahead of time exactly how much is needed to cover these expenses. Therefore, one parent will often have to pay out-of-pocket for the expense when it arises, and the other parent will be required to reimburse them later for their share of the expense.

Under California Family Code Sec. 4063, the parent seeking reimbursement must provide the other parent with a list of out-of-pocket expenses within a reasonable amount of time (no longer than 30 days after expenses were paid). They will also need to provide the other parent with proof of payment to show that the payment was in fact made.

The other parent will then have to pay their share of the expenses within a reasonable time period (not more than 30 days after being informed of the expense) or the time period specified by the court.

What happens if my ex refuses to pay?

Both you and your ex are legally responsible for your child’s wellbeing. A family law attorney in your area can help make sure that your ex is paying their fair share of child support. If your ex fails to or refuses to reimburse you for healthcare costs relating to your child, you, with the help of your attorney, can ask the court to step in and enforce the order.


RSS Feed