Divorce Do’s and Don’ts
There is no way to sugarcoat it — going through a divorce is difficult, from anxiety over finances to fears about how a divorce will affect your children. For many people, a divorce is the most stressful life event they will ever experience. Consequently, as a result of such an intense and difficult process, many people do and say things that they later regret. Sadly, those reactions can have very negative effects and lasting consequences on the person and their life.
At Cullen & Murphy, our compassionate family law attorneys understand that clients often feel overwhelmed and intimidated by the divorce process. With that in mind, we are committed to providing you with the information, answers and strong legal representation you need to successfully navigate the complexities of your divorce.
Helping Clients Achieve Successful Outcomes In Divorce
While each client and every divorce is unique, there are some universal tips that we believe can benefit anyone who is planning to or going through a divorce, including:
3 Divorce Do’s
- Get informed — Take time to learn about the divorce process. Knowing what to expect can help you prepare and plan accordingly.
- Get organized — Gather financial and personal records and documents and write down any and all important details and happenings in a journal.
- Get support — Seek out friends, family members and third-party professionals who can provide help and support throughout your divorce.
3 Divorce Don’ts
- Don’t withhold information — Failing to be forthcoming about important personal and financial information will likely only backfire down the road and drag out your divorce.
- Don’t be combative — Acting in an aggressive or obstructive manner toward your ex or the opposing attorney can halt negotiations and lead to personal and financial losses.
- Don’t self-deconstruct — Thinking negatively can lead to or worsen other problems like anxiety, depression and substance abuse. Practice self-care and reach out for help.
To discuss your divorce case in more detail, contact a lawyer at our firm at 951-824-6449 or contact us online. We have offices in Riverside and Temecula.